You probably think that you already know everything about Cancun. However, we can assure you that you don’t know these 5 things! Keep reading and let us surprise you!
Cancun is much more than a vacation paradise; it’s a cosmopolitan city, full of culture and things to do, like swimming with dolphins, exploring underground rivers and more. Learn more about the variety of this excellent destination!
1. A perfect sports venue
Cancun hosts three different professional sports team: a soccer team, a baseball team and a basketball team, the Atlante, the Tigres de Quintana Roo and the Pioneros, respectively.
2. Endangered local fauna
In Cancun, there are many organizations taking care of protecting and preserving the local species, in order to maintain the natural balance of the ecosystem. Some of these initiatives are:
- Croco Cun Zoo: this is an interactive tour where you can touch, feed and hang out with the fauna. If you’re brave enough, you can even walk near crocodiles. This adventure lasts 75 minutes and you can find it in the Conservationist Interactive Adventure Zoo.
- Aktun Chen: with more than 180 protected hectares, visitors can be in direct contact with nature and enjoy zip lining and snorkeling in an underground river, besides exploring caves and cenotes.
Also, there are a lot of special programs to protect the white-tailed deer, an endangered specie, especially from the Yucatan and Quintana Roo governments.
If you want to know more about these initiatives, click here!
3. CUN: Mexico's busiest international airport
The International Airport of Cancun (CUN) handles the largest international passenger traffic in Mexico, and it's the second in the country in total air traffic, only behind Mexico City. So you can find people from the entire world visiting here to swim in its warm waters.
4. Cancun is home to the fastest reptile in the world
The fastest reptile in the world is part of the fauna in Cancun. The striped iguana is also known as “garrobo” or “Ctenosaura similis”, in the scientific world. However, you don’t have to worry about what to do if you encounter one, because they’re herbivores.
5. You can visit one of the New 7 Wonders of the Modern World
Mayan people lived in the Peninsula de Yucatán for many centuries. You can still find their vestiges and cultural heritage in one magnificent antique city. Chichen Itzá was a great city founded in 525 A.D. and in 2007, was declared one of the new 7 wonders of the modern world.
Did you know these things? The next time you travel to Cancun to enjoy its beaches, swim with dolphins or visit the archaeological sites, think about these facts and discover more about the city!
Would you like to know more about Cancun and what to do there?